What's new

[PIO] The Minister of Health Mr. Michalis Damianos met with the Deputy Minister of Health of Greece Mr. Marios Themistocleous

40655.jpg

Important issues concerning the health sector were the focus of a meeting between the Minister of Health, Mr. Michalis Damianou, and the Deputy Minister of Health of Greece, Mr. Marios Themistocleous, who is on an official visit to Cyprus.

In his statements after the conclusion of the meeting, Mr Damianos noted that the relationship between the Republic of Cyprus and the Hellenic Republic in the health sector is very close and the aim is to further strengthen it. Greece, he added, is a long-standing supporter of the Republic of Cyprus and the Cypriot patient in health matters.

"With the Deputy Minister and his colleagues, we had the opportunity to discuss the upcoming cooperation between Cyprus and Greece in the field of transplantation, through two agreements, which are expected to benefit the patients of both countries," the Minister said.

The first Cooperation Agreement concerns organ donation in Greece from deceased donors and the performance of lung transplants at the Onassis Cardiac Surgery Centre for Cypriot patients.

The second Cooperation Agreement concerns the field of Cross Renal Transplants. The agreement provides for cases where there are incompatible pairs (living donor and recipient) for kidney transplantation in Cyprus and Greece. The Agreement specifically provides for the exchange of kidneys between the two countries in order to achieve compatibility and improve the quality of life of people suffering from kidney disease.

"I believe that the success of the initiatives will have a beneficial impact on the citizens of both countries who are on the list for transplantation. At the same time, I am convinced that this cooperation will be the trigger for cooperation with other countries," the Minister of Health of the Republic of Cyprus pointed out.

Damianos also mentioned that the issue of a new memorandum of cooperation between the two countries was discussed, in view of the imminent expiry of the existing one, with the prospect of more general cooperation in the health sector. They also discussed issues related to the pharmaceutical sector.

"Finally, we exchanged views on the issue of university clinics, which is an urgent issue for the government of Nikos Christodoulides. Greece has expertise on this issue and we look forward to its utilization."

For his part, the Greek Deputy Minister of Health Mr. Marios Themistokleous said the following.

"I am particularly pleased about the extremely constructive meeting we had today with the Minister of Health of Cyprus Mr. Michalis Damianos. Our discussion focused on issues concerning the strengthening of transnational cooperation between Greece and Cyprus in the field of health and specifically in the field of transplants, the supply of medicines and the provision of innovative medicines and technologies between the two countries as well as the operation of University Hospitals and University Clinics.

I would like to thank the Minister of Health Mr Damianos for the warm welcome and the constructive cooperation.

I would like to thank the Minister of Health Mr Damianos for the warm welcome and the constructive cooperation. The mutual commitment to strengthen relations in the health sector reflects our common will to improve the provision of health services to our citizens."

(DK)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back