What's new

[PIO] Statements by the President of the Republic of Cyprus at the Extraordinary European Council Summit

41074.jpg

The President of the Republic Mr.Nicos Christodoulides, on his arrival at the Extraordinary European Council in Brussels today, said:

"I consider today's Council particularly important, especially with regard to issues concerning the external relations of the European Union (EU). We will finally have a strategic debate on the EU's relations with Turkey, something we have been seeking for a long time. The timing is important, taking into account the efforts of the United Nations (UN) Secretary General (UNSG) to resume the talks.

The Cyprus issue is linked to the progress of Euro-Turkish relations, I hope that through the debate, yes, the positive mood on the part of the EU, the Member States, including our own positive mood, the development of which will depend entirely on progress on the Cyprus issue. I am pleased that there is a specific reference in the draft to the Cyprus issue, to the issue of the resumption of talks. As you know, since the appointment of the personal envoy, there has been mobility. She will visit a number of European countries, she will be in Brussels, she will be in Cyprus. We are in contact, we have already arranged two meetings with Ms Holguín.

Beyond that is the issue of the Middle East, to express the expectation, the hope that there will be no further deterioration of the situation, which affects not only the neighbouring states, not only the Republic of Cyprus, but the whole of the EU in a region adjacent to the EU. In this context, we will also discuss the issue of Lebanon, the need to support Lebanon. Let me inform you that the President of the European Commission has just informed me that we will jointly visit Lebanon on 2 May. I have been in contact with the Prime Minister of the country so that we can show the EU's practical support for the effort that is being made with Lebanon. In the context of discussing the implications of the situation in the Middle East, we must also touch on migration. We should, and it is something that we as the Republic of Cyprus together with other Member States, which we have already agreed, will raise the issue of reassessment, to start a discussion on the reassessment of certain areas as safe areas within Syria."

In response to a reporter's question about whether there is an agreement with other member states for the Cyprus problem to be one of the main issues in relation to Euro-Turkish relations, because, as the reporter said, he understands that there is disagreement on the extent to which it will depend, President Christodoulides replied. We have before us a fourth draft, which will come before the Heads of State and we will do everything possible to achieve a positive outcome. Whether Turkey wants it or not, Euro-Turkish relations also go through the Cyprus issue. We are here to give, I repeat, a positive message, the progress of which depends on Turkey's behaviour at the negotiating table."[/P "I HAVE ALREADY DISCUSSED THE FIRST PACKAGE WITH THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMMISSION WHEN WE WENT TO ATHENS. AS YOU KNOW, I THEN WENT TO LEBANON, I HAVE INFORMED THE LEBANESE GOVERNMENT AND I AM GLAD THAT A SPECIFIC DATE HAS BEEN SET. AS I HAVE TOLD YOU, ON 2 MAY I WILL BE IN LEBANON, TOGETHER WITH THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMMISSION. I WILL TELL YOU AT THE SAME TIME THAT ON FRIDAY THE FRENCH PRESIDENT WILL HOST THE PRIME MINISTER OF LEBANON, THE HEAD OF THE COUNTRY'S ARMED FORCES, IN PARIS, IN AN EFFORT THAT IS BEING MADE, NOW CONSCIOUSLY, SPECIFICALLY ON THE PART OF THE EU, TO ADDRESS THE CHALLENGES THAT LEBANON IS FACING AND, BY EXTENSION, ANY PROBLEMS, SUCH AS, FOR EXAMPLE, THE MIGRATION ISSUE THAT THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS IS FACING. BUT IT IS IN DIRECT CORRELATION, I REPEAT, WITH THE NEED TO START DISCUSSIONS TO DEFINE SOME AREAS IN SYRIA, ON THE BASIS OF REAL FACTS, AS SAFE AREAS."

In response to a reporter's question on whether a common line on restraint to be requested from Israel and Iran is feasible, the President replied. It is an issue that whatever side the states are on, and I am talking in the Middle East more so, because I think that on the issue of Iran their unified line, any actions to further escalate the crisis should be avoided, but at the same time, this is one of the key issues, to see how to restart the negotiation process. Beyond that, it is the humanitarian needs that are there, and I hope that soon, with the completion of the work on the part of the American administration in Gaza, that humanitarian assistance will resume through the initiative of the Republic of Cyprus. Thank you very much."

For footage of the President's statement, click here.

(BAT/MS/EATH/NYAN)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back