What's new

[PIO] Speech by the President of the Hellenic Republic Mr Nikos Christodoulides at the ceremony of the THOC Awards for the year 2023

40636.jpg

It is with great pleasure and honour that I participate and welcome this year's Theatre Awards Ceremony, an institution that for more than two decades has been awarding distinguished people of the theatre and creators of the past year.

Before I proceed, allow me to mention director and actor Nikos Charalambous, who left us a few days ago. Nikos Charalambous is undoubtedly a great chapter in the history of the Cypriot theatre and he sealed with his work and personality the theatrical events of Cyprus and beyond. He honoured and promoted the theatre of Cyprus and abroad, and his productions will forever inspire and teach the people of theatre and art in general.

Tonight is a celebration of the theatre of Cyprus, but also of cultural creation in our country in general. Much has been said before, which has been mentioned from time to time about culture, about the theatre. If the culture of a country is the soul and expression of its life and history, the theatre is certainly its heart and pulse.

Manos Hadjidakis' quote, "An actor means light", reflects the true dimension of the term "actor" and encapsulates within it the high mission and responsibility of the people of the theatre. Let us also not forget that as Greeks in origin and culture we have a heavy heritage towards all forms of art. After all, the educational, social and moral function of the theatre is the property and pride of ancient Greek civilisation.

It is an undeniable fact that theatre has a great influence on society as a whole and can shape values, perceptions and attitudes to life. And, yes, through the theatre a revolution can begin. We all carry within us indelible impressions and experiences of theatrical performances, images and experiences that trouble us, move us, sometimes relax us, impress us and dare I say in many cases have defined us. Theatre has always been - and as a Government we will ensure that, it is a key objective of ours in relation to theatre, that it will remain - our second school.

Tonight the Cyprus Theatre Organisation (THOC), the pillar of theatrical creation in our country, honours and awards three renowned artists who have left their mark and stood out with their creations and acting skills.

Mr. Stavros Louras, whom I personally appreciate and admire. I remember him from my childhood. For almost 50 years he has dedicated his life to the stage and has filled our lives with unique and unrepeatable performances of roles, both comic and dramatic. It is a proven fact that Mr. Stavros Louras is among the greatest people of the theatre in Cyprus and he fully deserves tonight's honour.

In addition, THOC awards the director Mr. Paris Erotokritou with the Creator of the Year Award and Ms. Anastasia Demetriadou, musical performer, with the Young Creator of the Year Award. Both Paris and Anastasia deserve our warmest congratulations for their passion, inventiveness and high artistic level.

At the same time, however, we do not forget the other nominees and all the artistic creators of Cyprus in general. After all, the purpose of the THOC Awards is to honour and recognise the work of the people of the theatre in Cyprus in general, who exploit and chisel away at their gifts with much effort and sacrifice, often under adverse conditions, offering all of us, over time, great and beneficial spectacle.

From the first moment we took over the reins of government, we have made the "man", his needs, his value and his contribution our priority. Our policy, based on a people-centred approach, is targeted, with specific and key actions to upgrade, review and change the entire framework of benefits and the functioning of government services. I am well aware that our task is far from easy. In many cases the changes involve institutional functions that are entrenched and often inflexible. However, we have charted a very specific course, we know where we want to go, we will follow it to the end and I am confident of the outcome.

With regard to culture, and more specifically the theatre, the Deputy Ministry of Culture, under the guidance of the Deputy Minister Dr. Vasiliki Kassianidou, began a fruitful and direct dialogue with the theatrical institutions, with the aim of drawing up a holistic plan, always for the benefit of the public, the artists and the quality of cultural creation in our country.

Indicatively, among other things, in this first year of our government - I mention it first because I think it is important, it is another dimension in which we want to invest - we went ahead with the prepaid "Youth Culture Card" in cooperation with the Bank of Cyprus, which gives young people the ticket and the opportunity to participate in cultural events in our country. We owe it to our young people to bring them closer to the cultural events of our country.

We have also - something that concerns all artists - already prepared a draft law on the Status of Artist, which, apart from the general regulation of criteria and framework, will also give the opportunity to provide social security benefits and health insurance coverage to self-employed artists.

We are at an advanced stage of creating a framework for tax incentives - there have never been any - to support culture also from the private sector, in the overall context of our ongoing effort for Tax Transformation of our country.

We promote ways of further online and print promotion of theatrical productions receiving grants from the "THYMELI" project.

We support and promote the presentation of theatrical and other cultural activities abroad.

In cooperation with the "Cyprus Centre of the International Theatre Institute", we supported and co-organised the Week of Cypriot Theatre Works in Athens, at the National Theatre.

At the same time, we plan to conduct quantitative and qualitative surveys of the market, audiences and artists, the results of which will be used in the formulation of targeted policies and the design of new sponsorship programmes. I am well aware that this is an issue of concern to our theatres.

At the same time, we are studying the creation of a sponsorship programme to support emerging artists and young professionals in the theatre in general, along the lines of the one I mentioned tonight, which the THOC is awarding to one of the individuals I mentioned.

More generally, we are refocusing and modernising our grant schemes relating to all aspects of cultural creation in our country, and promoting the digital upgrading of cultural spaces.

At the same time, the Deputy Ministry of Culture, responding to our overall objective and approach for a horizontal approach and holistic handling of issues that concern the Cypriot citizen, proceeded to "synergies" with other Ministries and Deputy Ministries, such as Health, Tourism and Social Welfare, for the exploitation of our country's Culture at multiple levels, and by extension is one of the key issues, its contribution to society, the economy and the well-being of our country. Allow me to mention and congratulate in particular the very appropriate initiative of the Deputy Minister to present theatrical performances and other cultural activities in hospitals, such as for example the pilot programme that we started at Makarios Hospital.

As a Government we are also in the final stage of formulating a Cultural Diplomacy Strategy.

As a Government we are also in the final stage of formulating a Cultural Diplomacy Strategy. We have been saying it for years, it is time to implement it. Our country can and must be promoted internationally as a crossroads between West and East, Asia and Africa, and its cultural creation can and must be opened up and disseminated to the modern world and become a dynamic platform for representation and message transfer. And this is also on the occasion of our preparations for assuming the Presidency of the Council of the European Union in the first half of 2026.

All the above reflects the Government's intention and clear will for radical changes and revision of many services and functions of the State in relation to its citizens in general. After all, Cyprus is its citizens and this is what we want to establish as a Government through innovative and pioneering initiatives, through continuous reforms. We enter into dialogue with society, including of course the People of Culture, and together we shape our policy and our course, where we want to take our country.

In conclusion, I would like to congratulate the Deputy Minister of Culture and the Deputy Ministry in general for their truly worthy and hard work. I would also like to congratulate the new Board of Directors of the THOC, the first Board of the Organisation appointed through the open and transparent process of the Advisory Council. Although you have only been in charge for two months, nevertheless, as I have been informed, you are resolutely proceeding with strategic planning and a comprehensive modernisation effort, aiming at the further development of domestic theatre creation and education and, of course, the extroversion of the Organisation.

I would also like to congratulate the former President and all members of the previous Council for the important work done, the Cyprus Theatre Organisation for its long-standing activity, its theatre programmes and its high quality productions. We are indeed proud of the work you have done for so many years in our country. A work that we must admit has developed under very difficult conditions.

To congratulate again and express my admiration to the artists of the theatre for their contribution to the country and especially to tonight's honorees, Mr. Stavros Louras, Mr. Paris Erotokritou and Mrs. Anastasia Dimitriadou.

In conclusion, and following the very apt words we have seen before, Culture produces education, social values and ethics. In fact, it is culture that produces politics, not the other way around. We will continue to invest in the cultivation of a democratic culture, in the strengthening and promotion of our cultural values, in the qualitative upgrading, promotion and promotion of our cultural creation and in direct contact and consultation with citizens, especially the citizens of tomorrow, our young people. Our sole motivation is our love for our country and our goal to upgrade and exploit our cultural potential, our cultural services and activities.

(RM/EAθ/MΣ)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back