What's new

[PIO] Confirmation Ceremony of the Chief of the National Guard

26720.jpg

The confirmation ceremony of the Chief of the National Guard, Lieutenant General Demokritos Zervakis, who was reappointed today as Chief of the National Guard, took place today at the Presidential Palace, in the presence of the President of the Republic, Mr.Nicos Anastasiades.

Speaking at the ceremony, the President of the Republic said that "I am today proceeding with the renewal of the mandate of Lieutenant General Demokritos Zervakis as Chief of the National Guard.

The decision to reappoint Mr. Zervakis was based on the recognition of his successful service to date and the professionalism and zeal he has shown in the performance of his duties.

Mr. Zervakis, I invite you to continue to work with the same sense of responsibility that you have demonstrated to date, both during your long career in the Greek Armed Forces and during the last two years as Chief of the National Guard.

I am confident that you will continue the multi-dimensional and important work you are carrying out, which concerns the integrated planning we have adopted for the reorganization and modernization of the National Guard.

An effort which focuses on. [*]The strengthening of defence equipment. [*]The upgrading of the operational competence of the Force. [/LIST]

With a series of innovative actions and decisions such as. [*]The successful integration of more than 3000 professional soldiers and the strengthening of the institution. [*]The upgrading of the institution of reserve service. [*]The continuous improvement of the training of National Guard members, as well as the control and evaluation of leadership and personnel. [*]The adoption of a series of measures to combat desertion. [*]The initiation of the planning of a long-term armament programme with an eight-year horizon. [/LIST]

In addition to the above, with the aim of making Cyprus a strong player in crisis management, stability and a contributor to security and peace:

1. The Search and Rescue Coordination Centre of the Republic of Cyprus, the Satellite Mission Control Centre and the "ZION" Coordination Centre have been established and are operating successfully. Three centres demonstrating Cyprus' capacity to provide humanitarian services, as well as search and rescue.
  2. The Republic of Cyprus is a founding member of the Permanent Structured Cooperation of the European Union (PESCO), on the basis of which defence cooperation in the European Union is strengthened.
  3. While important - I stress - defence agreements and cooperation have been signed at bilateral and multilateral level, which have led to a number of joint exercises with third countries, thus upgrading the level of training and the strength of the National Guard.

Our country has been under Turkish occupation for more than 47 years and while there is an illegally occupying army, the National Guard is called upon to defend the national sovereignty and territorial integrity of our country.

To this end, it is to you, the leadership of the National Guard, that the State entrusts to lead, train and strengthen the morale of your subordinates, acting with the sole purpose of serving the national interest.

We have said many times that we are not the country that seeks the aggressive disposition of the national army.

We have said many times that we are not the country that seeks the aggressive disposition of the national army. But what we seek, aim for and will achieve is to have the maximum deterrent capability. That is why I am confident that as you have demonstrated through your multifaceted work and the renewal of your term of office will contribute towards that goal.

I assure you that the State will be at your side and following the close cooperation with the Minister of Defence, I have no doubt that the strategic plans, the plans to strengthen the deterrent power of the National Guard will be strengthened even more.

Congratulating you, I wish you all the best in the work you are called upon to perform."

For his part, Lieutenant General Zervakis said, among other things, that in the last two years, the National Guard in the context of the directions of the Ministry of Defense and a holistic plan for its reorganization and modernization, seized emerging opportunities and ongoing challenges to develop multi-dimensional action focusing on the adequacy of operational readiness, deterrence capability and maintaining its status as one of the power components of the Republic of Cyprus. In particular, the continuation of the implementation of a well thought-out and rationalized armament program, the further expansion of the network of bilateral and multilateral military cooperation and the strengthening and utilization of human resources.

Noting that no complacency is allowed, Mr. Zervakis also assured that the only guiding principle in the performance of his duties is the strengthening of all the combat power of the National Guard and the service of the national interest.

Finally, he praised the contribution of the current and former Ministers of Defence and all the personnel of the National Guard.

(PM/MB/IC)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back