What's new

[PIO] Address by the Minister of Education, Sports and Youth, Mrs Athina Michailidou, at the reception of the French Embassy for the International Day

33610.jpg

It is with great pleasure that I am here to celebrate International Francophonie Day 2023. Allow me to begin with a few words in French to commemorate International Francophonie Day.

Nous traversons une période particulièrement fructueuse dans l'histoire de la coopération entre nos deux pays. Les relations Chypre-France sont aujourd'hui au plus haut niveau et je voudrais vous assurer de notre volonté de développer et renforcer d'avantage notre collaboration.

Today we are celebrating an international language and a tradition of values such as democracy, freedom and humanity that unite 88 states and governments and a population of 321 million French-speaking people on five continents. With the French language as their common denominator and with equality, complementarity and solidarity (Égalité, Complémentarité, Solidarité) as their leitmotif, their main concerns are the promotion of cultural and linguistic diversity, the acceptance of diversity, equality between women and men and support for education and training, research and sustainable development.

Since 2006, Cyprus has been one of the mosaics that make up this complex and multicultural mosaic of Francophonie countries and actively participates in the activities and events to celebrate the anniversary of the founding of the World Organisation of Francophonie, expressing in every way its interest and love for the French language and culture. The certification of the French language in public schools, the expansion of its teaching in high schools and technical schools, the operation of a branch of the French Cypriot School in Limassol, the participation in the Language Assistants Reception programme from September 2023, undoubtedly offer more opportunities for our students to get to know better the language that unites the peoples of this great family, the Francophonie. A priority for the new government and for me personally is to strengthen these actions in the context of promoting multilingualism, to offer young Cypriots opportunities and to open more paths of access to the academic and professional world.

Let me close by paying tribute to the late former Minister of Education and Culture Pefkios Georgiades, who was one of the most important pioneers of Cyprus' accession to the International Organisation of Francophonie, and conclude with the words of the message of Abdou Diouf, former Secretary General of Francophonie on the occasion of the celebration of World Francophonie Day: "Francophonie gives us the audacity to believe that we, together, can shape our common destiny. Let this International Francophonie Day be an opportunity for all of us to celebrate, with enthusiasm and pride, the optimism of hope and the boldness of will."

Contents of this article including associated images are belongs to PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back