What's new

[PIO] Address by the Minister of Education, Sports and Youth, Dr Athina Michailidou, at the Award Ceremony of the Student Painting Competition "P

41127.jpg

It is with great pleasure that I am with you today, addressing the award ceremony of the students who excelled in the Painting Competition on the theme "Personal Data Protection in the School Unit".

The Competition was organised in cooperation with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner, which is the independent public supervisory authority responsible for monitoring the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation and other regulations concerning the protection of citizens with regard to the processing of personal data.

The aim of the Competition was to raise awareness among high school students on personal data protection issues and, at the same time, to develop the appropriate mindset for the protection of personal data.

The importance and value of our personal data is indisputable. In modern times, with the ever-increasing use of the internet and the services it provides, digitisation in all areas of human activity and the widespread use of social media, the management, security and protection of personal data becomes even more important.

From 2018, Cyprus is fully harmonised with the General Data Protection Regulation, which applies to all Member States of the European Union, protecting natural persons against the processing of personal data. In this context, our Ministry, through the Office of the Data Protection Officer, has developed and communicated to school units a specific policy for the implementation of this Regulation, with emphasis on the protection of children's personal data, as children may be less aware of the risks, consequences and their rights. I warmly congratulate all the students who participated in the competition, as well as the teachers who encouraged and guided them in their efforts. I would also like to thank the school managements who contributed to the smooth running of the Competition.

Dear children,

Your works are original, creative and express your intellectual and emotional world. I encourage you to continue to "speak" through painting and "translate" the world you experience through it. At the same time, I encourage you to pay due attention to the protection of your personal data, whether inside or outside the school context.

In closing my brief greeting, I would like to thank the Commissioner for Personal Data Protection for her excellent cooperation, as well as the officials of her Office who worked for the implementation of the Contest. Finally, I would like to thank all the members of the Jury. Good luck to all.

IP
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/P]

Back