What's new

[PIO] Address by the Minister of Education, Sports and Youth at the Inter-ministerial Meeting on the Project "Support to the Expansion and Strategic

41157.jpg

Welcome to the Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth and to today's meeting organised in the framework of the project "Supporting the Expansion and Strategic Development of Pre-Primary Education and Care in Cyprus". The importance of the Project is self-evident and self-evident, since, through it, Cyprus will proceed with the preparation of this strategy.

During today's meeting we are expected to be informed about the evolutionary course of the Project, the results of the surveys carried out in the framework of its work, as well as the final conclusions of the discussions that preceded the groups, which formed the basis of the National Quality Plan that has been developed.

Undoubtedly, early childhood is crucial for the development of fundamental skills and learning aptitudes that greatly influence later educational and career prospects. The empowerment of tomorrow's adults can be achieved by providing quality pre-primary education and care programmes. Therefore, universal access to quality Pre-Primary Education is a priority for our Ministry.

This Project gives for the first time an opportunity for the Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth and the State Ministry of Social Welfare to work together on a common pathway in the sensitive and particularly important area of Pre-Primary Education and Care, so that together they can contribute to improving access and upgrading the quality of services in the sector. Our goals are to modernise our educational policies, upgrade and improve our infrastructure, ensure that no child is deprived of the development of their abilities and tackle inequality and social exclusion.

At this point, I think it is important to point out that, as the Ministry of Education, Sport and Youth, we attach particular importance to pre-school education, since, as I have previously mentioned, it is the solid foundation on which our children will be built to have a successful school life thereafter. On the basis of the Governance Programme, we have made the transition to a modern, human-centred and inclusive school a priority. In this context, with specific reference to pre-school education, we have moved to extend free compulsory education from the age of 4 years, which is one of the biggest educational reforms in recent years, with obvious positive pedagogical benefits for our children. In addition, we are moving towards the introduction of early intervention diagnostic procedures in kindergarten and pedagogical measures for prevention, early diagnosis and intervention in issues of violence/violence and literacy, with particular emphasis on pre-school age.

In conclusion, I would like to thank in particular my dear colleague, the Deputy Minister of Social Welfare, Marilena Evangelou, and her colleagues and collaborators, as well as my own colleagues and collaborators in the competent services of the Ministry.

I would also like to convey my sincere thanks to the European Commission for giving Cyprus the opportunity to invest in the very sensitive and important sector of Pre-primary Education and Care in Cyprus, as well as to the important partners UNICEF and CARDET, as well as to the members of the working groups for the excellent cooperation and the diligence with which they worked for the implementation of the project.

IP

Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/P]
Source[/P][/P]

Back