What's new

[PIO] Statements by the President of the Republic

40614.jpg

The Government's priority is to improve the daily life of citizens, President of the Republic Nicos Christodoulides said today.

In his statements to journalists, coming to the event for the signing ceremony of memoranda of understanding for the launch of the nationwide expansion of the Neighbourhood Social Worker, and asked about the anti-incidence measures to be taken by the Government at the upcoming Cabinet meeting, the President of the Republic said: "This Government has demonstrated from day one, with actions and not with words, that it has a single priority, the improvement of the daily life of the citizen.

It was precisely in this context that from the beginning we have presented two packages of measures in excess of €196 million the first and in excess of €60 million the second. At the same time (we are) operating through a holistic approach, because it is not only the packages that the Government has announced - let me remind you of the ATA where thousands of our compatriots benefited, let me remind you of the increase in the minimum wage, Let me remind you, within the framework of our holistic approach, of the plans on the issue of electricity, the issue of energy, because that is largely where the increases come from, the precision that we have to deal with, the photovoltaic plan for all, and many other plans.

And it is precisely within this framework that today we will announce more measures, some horizontal, some targeted.

Our priority is to announce targeted measures precisely to address those of our compatriots who have the most challenges, the issue of precision.

At the same time and because we are also in an election period, I hear a lot of inexpensive announcements. I want to remind the Cypriot people that these inexpensive announcements, when followed by some, led this country to the second biggest disaster since the Turkish invasion of 1974.

Let me remind you what happened in 2012 in this country and we, as a responsible government, are accountable only to the Cypriot people, we will not be dragged into policies that will endanger this country again. We know where there is more accuracy, where the challenges are greater and it is only through a holistic approach that we take (such as with) measures to increase wages, with the issue of electricity, that we will address this issue as a whole."

Asked if the reduced fuel tax might remain, the President said: "We have a Cabinet meeting in a little while, look forward to the discussion that will take place. I repeat, some measures will be targeted and some measures will be measured horizontally."

Asked about the government's proposal on multiple pensions, their abolition and an increase in the gratuity, the President said: "I believe that this government is the first government to dare to touch an issue that has been discussed for so long but no one, no one has dared to touch it. The Government has put a proposal on the table and we have called for consultation to come up with a formula to address this problem which I repeat has been there for so many years and this is the first time a Government has touched this issue

We have a proposal down, to come and discuss. That's why we called for consultation, just to come up with something that is right, something that will go through the House of Representatives. I repeat, statements on this issue have been made for many, many years, no one has dared to put a proposal on the table. We have put forward a proposal. If some people disagree, that is fine. Within the framework of democracy, of consultation, let's come and discuss, let's come up with something that will pass through the House of Representatives and satisfy Cypriot society.

I repeat, I don't know how many years this issue has been discussed, no one has dared. We dared and we put a proposal on the table."

Asked if there is any news in relation to the sea corridor for humanitarian aid to Gaza, the President said: "I was briefed very specifically by US military officials when I had a meeting recently about the establishment of the port there. The target is 1 May, but from the information I have received, it seems that there may be a possible conclusion clearly earlier and it is something that will help to further increase humanitarian assistance to Gaza."

(PM/NZ/EP)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/P]

Back