What's new

[PIO] Address by the President of the Republic Mr. Nikos Christodoulides at the inauguration ceremony of the works in the Municipality of Pegeia

41830.jpg

It is with great pleasure that I participate in today's event to celebrate the inauguration of important projects that have been completed in the Municipality of Pegeia and that I am sure will improve the daily life of both residents and visitors of the area. Friend Marino, the changes are evident and I would like to thank you for inviting me to officiate at the inauguration today. I [ALSO] congratulate both you and the members of the Municipal Council of the Municipality of Pegeia for your commitment over the years to the implementation of projects and actions that have contributed to the substantial upgrading of your Municipality, but also to the improvement of the quality of life of the citizens, because this is our goal.

In view of the implementation of the ambitious reform of Local Government, the projects we are launching today will undoubtedly contribute substantially to the achievement of one of our most important objectives, that of improving the quality of life of our citizens. Particularly in the context of the creation of the new Municipality of Akamas after the unification of the Municipality of Pegeia with the Communities of Akursos, Inia, Kathika, Kato Arodon, Kissonerga and Pano Arodon, the urban planning projects we are launching today will undoubtedly enhance the services offered to locals and visitors.

The first projects I inaugurated as President of the Republic, the first areas I visited as President of the Republic were the communities of Akamas, precisely because of the importance we give to this area and together, in cooperation with the communities, very soon we will announce new actions to develop this unique area for our country.

The project for the development of the seaside promenade in the Municipality of Pegeia is part of the Strategic Plan 2024-2026 of the Ministry of Interior for the implementation of projects and regulatory plans for urban and rural development. The project, about 1.5 km long, is the first phase of the regeneration of the Municipality's seafront - something that has been needed for years - with a construction cost of more than 2.5 million euros. A pedestrian and cycle path, a sports area, an outdoor gym, modern playgrounds with infrastructure for unhindered access for people with disabilities, fully equipped seating areas, a small amphitheatre and sanitary facilities were constructed, while green areas were landscaped with Cypriot plants and trees. A very careful job was done. In addition, with the impressive metal pedestrian bridge, 40 meters long, the Municipality of Pegeia and the Community of Kissonerga are connected in a safe and functional way in the area where the Paphos Marina will be built in the future. And to answer the invitation/challenge that you mentioned, my friend Mayor, you can be sure that the inauguration will take place under our administration, and this is not a commitment, it is a promise that we will deliver. It is also a priority of the Paphos Chamber of Commerce and the implementation of this project will correct a distortion that has existed for years in Paphos Province.

I think it is clear to everyone from what I have said that a single - all the projects are related to each other - modern, linear, multifunctional park has been created in the Municipality, which can function, among many other things, as a sports and recreation area for all ages. The aim of the project is to create a reference point for the Municipality of Pegeia, a meeting place where citizens and visitors can mingle and enjoy moments of relaxation, sport and entertainment by the sea, in a place of unique beauty.

I take the opportunity of my presence here today to refer to the Pegeia Development Plan. I would like to inform you that the Government, the Ministry of Interior and the relevant Department of Town and Country Planning are at a very advanced stage in completing the work on the preparation of the Pegeia Local Plan, and our aim is for the Local Plan to come into force in the next few months.

I know that this is something that you are all waiting for.I am very well aware of the fact that until today, the administrative area of Peyia is divided urbanistically and in this relatively small area two different Development Plans have been implemented, namely the Paphos Local Plan in the area of Coral Bay and the Policy Statement for the Countryside in the rest of the area, [WHICH] no longer serve or meet the modern needs and pace of development of a large municipality such as Peyia. For these reasons, it was deemed necessary to prepare a single Local Plan to meet the needs of the entire administrative area. I have no doubt that with the implementation of the Pegeia Local Plan, a distortion will be addressed and the area will gain a new dynamic through the promotion of sustainable development and its more rational organisation. At the same time, the physiognomy and the unique natural environment of Peyia and the new municipality of Akamas will be preserved and their distinct identity will be highlighted.

One of my disadvantages is that I cannot hide what I believe, and in this context you have heard me on several occasions referring to the new municipality of Akamas, which will be operational in its new form in a few weeks' time. Local government reform is just around the corner, a huge, radical change for local communities in our country. I have stated in the past, and I will not take it back, that I personally believe that the separation of the Acamas Communities is wrong. Regardless of my own personal view - I cannot hide what I believe - and despite the weaknesses that both the Government and the parliamentary parties generally identify, as I have repeatedly emphasised, we remain committed - and I am sure we will succeed - to the faithful implementation of the legislation that has been passed. In fact, the competent services of the Ministry of Interior and the Government in general are working feverishly to implement the provisions contained in this major reform for our country. Do not expect that there will be no problems.

I therefore assure you today that we will constantly evaluate the data created through the implementation of this major reform and if the need for changes arises, always in consultation with you, we will proceed with these changes.

When I think of the major reform of local government, the largest social reform in the country, the GESY, comes to mind. A very good reform, which we have implemented and will preserve, and the philosophy of which we will not touch. But to say that there are no problems and distortions is to fool ourselves. We are here to face the challenges in relation to the implementation of the reform. The same applies to local government reform. That is why I want you neither to worry nor to reflect. Should problems arise in the implementation of this reform, we are here, in cooperation with you, to make whatever changes need to be made.

This is a very important reform, no one doubts, and I do not want there to be any other impression of how we approach it from the State's perspective.

What will occur after July 1 will be unprecedented for all of us, and that is why it will require synergy, patience and perseverance until we all adjust.

What will occur after July 1 will be unprecedented for all of us, and that is why it will require synergy, patience and perseverance until we all adjust. First us, the Central State, the Local Authorities and all citizens.

I want to convey to all of you the readiness of the Government at large to provide you with all possible assistance so that the transition to the new state of affairs is smooth and gradually has the desired results for all of us.

I am confident that the leaderships of the seven municipal districts of the Municipality of Akamas will cooperate closely, putting above all the well-meaning interests and welfare of their fellow citizens, the development of the Municipality as a single unit and the preservation of the special character of the municipal districts.

Only in this way will you be able to offer your people, the inhabitants of the Municipality of Akamas, who will number about 30 thousand, the motivation to continue to create and envision a better future.

The Government remains your constant supporter and support. As a tourist region, the Municipality of Peyia - and subsequently the Municipality of Akamas - attracts thousands of visitors every year, who enjoy high quality tourist services. The projects we are inaugurating today, in addition to those we have already inaugurated, I am confident that they will contribute to the further upgrading of the tourist product of the region and the development of new and innovative infrastructure and services that meet the requirements of modern times.

At the same time, I am absolutely sure that by creating basic infrastructure, such as the development and improvement of the road network - something that should have been done 30 years ago - that serves all categories of users safely, the My presence here today is a practical statement of the importance that the Government attaches to the progress of local communities.

In closing, allow me to congratulate you once again for your work and the love and passion that you are putting in for the good of your place, for the good of our country. We renew our appointment for the laying of the foundation stone of the marina.

(RM/GS/NYAN)
Contents of this article including associated images are belongs PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Source[/P][/P]

Back