What's new

[PIO] Address by the President of the Republic Mr. Nicos Christodoulides at the signing ceremony of the Memoranda of Understanding for the start of

40615.jpg

It is with great pleasure that I participate in today's event, which marks the launch of the nationwide implementation of the "Neighbourhood Social Worker".

The implementation of this important action, within the framework of the co-funded Thaleia 2021-2027 Programme - let me mention the late Zeta who included it in the co-funded programme - is a practical, innovative social investment with People at the centre and aiming to improve the daily life of the citizen.

Upgrading the quality of life of every Cypriot citizen, friends, as I have repeatedly stressed, is a key component of our Governance. As a Government, we remain committed to this direction so that the State promotes and implements policies which, through the services offered, will substantially enhance the well-being of the citizen. And it is precisely in this context that we are proceeding, after the successful pilot implementation, with the implementation of the Neighbourhood Social Worker Programme.

This is an innovative institution, a social reform, which aspires on the one hand to support citizens in a direct and effective manner and on the other hand to strengthen Local Authorities in the better implementation of their work in the areas of social welfare and social cohesion.

Moreover, another important dimension, this goes hand in hand with the Local Government Reform that we will be called upon to implement very soon with the first elections, since in the context of the Local Government Reform, Local Authorities now have an enhanced role in many issues. When we talk about this, you always take on more responsibilities, powers, but I want you to know that it is always with the support of the state, the guidance and cooperation of the State Ministry of Social Welfare, as well as all the ministries involved.

At the same time, the strengthening of the local social network and the development of social services programmes at the level of local government is a European-oriented social policy that many member states of the European Union are implementing, through the general Particularly in these issues concerning citizens. So, both with this institution and with the reform in general, we are giving much more powers to all of you, the local government. We are by your side to help you to implement and successfully realise these powers that we are giving to local government. I am sure we will have challenges along the way, but you can be sure that we will be together, we will be with you, to meet those challenges. And then, this is our approach, to give you even more powers as Local Government, because we really believe in the important role that you have to play, especially on social issues, on education, on health issues, I repeat, always with the state by your side.

As a member state of the European Union, we adopt such good practices, adapted to the context of our country, but also as an indication of the people-centred approach that we as a government want to be characterised not by words, but by actions, by policies.

As a member state of the European Union, we adopt such good practices, adapted to the context of our country, but also as an indication of the people-centred approach that we as a government want to be characterised not by words, but by actions, by policies. Instead of the citizen going to the Social Services, we are sending the Social Services to the citizen, next to the citizen, precisely so that all the challenges that exist can be dealt with immediately. In essence, the Neighbourhood Social Worker is the first point of contact and reference for local authorities and institutions, such as schools, health centres, private institutions, but, more importantly, for the citizens themselves.

In this way, social services, as well as other services such as health, education, labour, justice and others, come closer to the citizens, reducing, with the valuable contribution of the Local Authorities, the distance between the State and society.

I want to welcome the great response from municipalities and communities, both those who participated in the pilot programme, which was crucial because we evaluated the results and saw the benefits and that is why we are proceeding with its nationwide expansion, and those who are signing the Memoranda of Understanding today. I strongly believe that the cooperation between the Ministry of Social Welfare and the Local Authorities will be excellent and exemplary.

I am very encouraged by the excellent results of the Programme during its pilot implementation, both in large municipalities and communities and in remote areas. Every citizen, whether they choose to live in Nicosia or in the city centre or in the most remote village of our country, should have the same opportunities to access the services of the State if we are talking about a welfare state.

It is, moreover, the common belief of all participants that the Neighbourhood Social Worker, with its operation to date, has managed to address challenges of both an individual and local nature and to serve citizens not only in addressing serious issues in cooperation with the So, its role is multidimensional.

Social Services will now have a constant face in the neighbourhood, with a name and a physical presence. The citizen will be supported, strengthened, informed on the spot about his rights, and where and when there is a need, he will be immediately referred to the competent services to address the issues that concern him.

It is the duty of the State, the State, my personal goal and the goal of our governance, to offer all the guarantees for the well-being of citizens and especially of those of our fellow citizens who need the support of social services. Then, and only then, can we talk about a welfare state. We can say and be proud that we have a welfare state.

The start of the nationwide expansion of the Programme, through the placement of social workers throughout the territory of our country, marks another step in the direction of the substantial Welfare State that we have promised to society, thus reducing in practice the distance between the citizen and the state, between society and the central government.

We continue steadily. In the coming period, we will announce more such actions that highlight in practice, and not in words, the sensitivity of the state, the need to have a welfare state with actions and not with words, in order to achieve a state that really cares for the citizen and has Man and only Man at the centre of its policies.

(PM/AF/EP)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back