What's new

[PIO] Address by the Minister of Justice and Public Order Mr. Marios Hartsiotis at the graduation ceremony of Series 3 Firefighter Cadets

41077.jpg

It is with great pleasure and satisfaction that I accepted the Chief Fire Marshal's invitation to attend and address today the graduation ceremony of the Cadet Firefighters of Series No.3.

A cycle of academic and practical training is completed today for 27 new members of the Fire Service, who were recruited on 5 April 2021, essentially marking the beginning of their professional careers in the Service, as active officers.

Another 44 Cadet Firefighters of Series No. 4 who were hired on November 7, 2022, continue to attend Basic Training at the Firefighter Cadet School and are expected to complete all stages of the required training in November 2025.

It is very important to mention that the process of recruiting 259 new Firefighters is in its final stage of completion, which, compared to the total strength of the Fire Service, which currently numbers about 680 members, is a very large number, demonstrating the great effort that is being made both to substantially strengthen the personnel of the Fire Service and to strengthen the entire system of the State's response to the increased fire safety and fire protection requirements of modern times. In a constantly changing environment, with rapid technological developments, high construction growth, and an increase in the frequency of natural and technological disasters that are becoming increasingly intense as a result of the climate crisis, the role of the Firefighter, that is, all of you, is becoming even more important and at the same time more difficult, more demanding and more dangerous.

In the face of these challenges, the government of Nikos Christodoulides, always having as its primary concern the safeguarding and protection of human life and safety, has placed very high on its priorities the continuous strengthening and upgrading of the Fire Service, both in terms of personnel and in terms of its logistical infrastructure and the firefighting fleet and equipment available.

The upgrading, strengthening and modernization of the logistical infrastructure and equipment, combined with the continuous training of personnel, contribute both to improving the level of response and to strengthening the suppressive capacity and capability of the Fire Service at the operational level, ensuring and strengthening at the same time, the sense of security of citizens.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let me say with certainty that the citizens of our country recognize and reward the work performed by the Fire Service on a daily basis. A Service that is committed to serving the citizen, that rushes immediately in any circumstance of danger either to itself or to its property, that understands and comprehends the anguish of each and every one of us, doing its utmost to carry out the work that the State has entrusted to it.

A project which over time, through its actions and through the very difficult incidents and situations it has been called upon to manage, as well as the participation of its members in missions abroad, outlines to a large extent the high level of professional training, professionalism and the high sense of responsibility and dedication of the members of the Fire Service.

Rest assured that the high level and quality of services offered by the Fire Service to the citizens of our country will continue and will be upgraded even further and to this end I will work with all my strengths.

In a few days we will enter the new fire season. A very difficult period, which is expanding year by year and the risks of large and catastrophic fires are becoming ever greater.

Timely preparation, proper operational planning and taking all appropriate preventive measures in cooperation with all relevant services are crucial to prevent the outbreak of large fires.

I therefore take this opportunity to invite you all to prepare yourselves properly, so that you are always in a position to achieve the highest possible degree of operational readiness, ready to respond successfully to the new requirements of our time, always next to the citizens of our country.

At the same time, I express the hope and the expectation that the human factor will not be the main source of causing fires this year, stigmatizing once again the Cypriot countryside.

Dear new members of the Fire Service,

It is easy to see the sense of pride you have in joining and serving the Fire Service. But always bear in mind, and I have no doubt that you do not know this, that this choice carries with it a very high degree of responsibility and uninterrupted service to society and citizens.

I therefore call upon you to honour this choice by your actions, and you will be worthy of the honour due to a member of the Fire Service.

I would like to express my sincere congratulations to the 27 nine members of the Fire Service who are today completing all stages of their basic training.

In particular, I would like to congratulate the primary and secondary Firefighters of Training Series No. 3 that we are awarding today.

I would be remiss if I did not express my congratulations and thanks to the Commandant of the Firefighters Cadet School and the teaching staff, visiting lecturers and academic associates, for the great effort they make in order to ensure that the training provided is of a high academic and professional standard.

I would be remiss if I did not express my congratulations and thanks to the Commandant of the Firefighters Cadet School and the teaching staff, visiting lecturers and academic associates, for the great effort they make in order to ensure that the training provided is of a high academic and professional standard.

Rest assured that, the already high level of academic and professional education offered by both the School of the Fire Service and the School of Cadet Firefighters, the programme of which was provided at the Cyprus Police Academy until the creation of the Fire Academy, will not only continue, but will be upgraded even further, since through training we will be able to achieve the main objective we have set as a State, which is none other than to provide the best possible services to our fellow citizens.

I wish you all a good professional career, and I urge you to always have as a beacon and compass of your decisions and actions the cause you have set out to serve: The protection and security of our country's biodiversity and infrastructure and the safety and security of each individual citizen and their property.

Thank you.

(/NYAN)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/URL]

Back