What's new

[PIO] Address by the Minister of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment Mr. Petros Xenophontos at the 44th Cherry Dance, yesterday

35400.jpg

I am particularly honored to be invited to attend and greet the Cherry Ball, which is organized by the Association "Achilleas Platanistas" for the 44th year. My official visit to Platanistasa is really very important and touching because of my origin from the region.

Your beautiful village is filled with wondrous images dressed in various shades of green, with picturesque neighborhoods and houses of folk architecture and pleasant environmental conditions for the visitor. The high altitude of 940 meters, at which Platanistasa is located, the climatic conditions of the area, as well as the fertile soils, make the area ideal for the cultivation of fruit trees, such as cherry trees. It is no coincidence, therefore, that today's event is dedicated to this favourite fruit, the cherry.

The cherry is a quite important crop for Cyprus, especially in the mountainous and semi-mountainous areas. Under the right conditions it can be a good source of income for the producer, while helping to keep the population in the countryside. According to the latest data of the Statistical Office, the area under cherry trees in Cyprus amounts to about 230 hectares with a production value of about EUR 1.6 million.

The Cypriot agricultural sector represents, in absolute terms, a small part of the Gross National Product. However, it has an impact on various other sectors of our economy such as manufacturing, tourism, etc., thus adding value. It helps to maintain the social fabric in rural areas and to reduce urbanisation and desertification. Moreover, agricultural activity protects and preserves the natural environment and landscape, and contributes to the mitigation of climate change.

As conditions have evolved in recent years, Cypriot agriculture faces many challenges. The Government, and in particular the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment, taking into account these facts, aims to continue its multifaceted action and to make every effort to improve the competitiveness of the agricultural sector. In order to support agricultural activity and sustainable rural development, the role of the Common Agricultural Policy Strategic Plan 2023-2027, which provides for a total funding of €454 million, is expected to be decisive. The Strategic Plan includes measures and schemes that promote the sustainability and competitiveness of farmers while aiming at mitigating environmental problems and tackling climate change.

Friends,

We are determined to breathe new life into the agricultural sector, to chart a new course that responds to the needs and addresses the real problems of the rural world. Our goal is to support rural communities to remain vibrant centres of economic, social and cultural development, combining agriculture, tourism and sustainability.

In closing, I would like to congratulate the "Achilleas Platanistakas" Association for initiating this beautiful event again this year. An event that gives citizens the opportunity to get to know cherries and the various products made from them. Finally, I would like to assure you that the Government will continue to implement its pro-agricultural policy and support in every possible way our agricultural world.

I wish you all a beautiful evening, full of fun.

Thank you.

(BG)
Contents of this article including associated images are belongs to PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back