What's new

[PIO] Address by the Commissioner for Gender Equality Ms Josephine Antoniou at the presentation of the Equality Action Plan of CUT

30682.jpg

It is with great pleasure and satisfaction that I accepted your invitation to attend your event today and the presentation of the first Equality Action Plan 2022-2025 of the Cyprus University of Technology and I warmly congratulate you for this initiative.

Gender equality is an internationally enshrined right under international conventions such as the UN Charter of 1945, the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women" (CEDAW - 1979), the Beijing Platform for Action Declaration, and international labour conventions with provisions for the protection of maternity and the facilitation of workers with family responsibilities, European Union Treaties such as the founding Treaty of Rome of 1957 and the Treaty of Amsterdam of 1999, which introduced into the EU Treaties the principle of gender equality and the elimination of discrimination based on sex and sexual orientation, and European Regulations and Community Directives to promote gender equality in the field of labour and employment.

Gender equality is one of the key objectives of the Republic of Cyprus. These priorities are summarised in two main objectives: (a) the elimination of legislative discrimination against women and the establishment of equality between men and women in all areas of law, and (b) the consolidation of the principle of equality and equal opportunities in practice, which implies, inter alia, changing attitudes, promoting specific programmes that support and empower women in the multiple roles they are called upon to perform, and integrating the principle of equality into all programmes and policies.

To begin with, at the national level, the Constitution of the Republic of Cyprus enshrines gender equality under Article 28, while Cyprus implements a comprehensive policy on gender equality, which is formulated in accordance with the provisions of all the above-mentioned international conventions and directives that I have mentioned, which it has signed and ratified. Several action plans and strategies have been developed in recent years to address issues relating to gender equality and women's rights. New legislation has come into force to address gender inequalities and new independent bodies have been set up. In addition, new policies have been formulated in the areas of violence against women, trafficking in human beings - especially women, employment, social inclusion, education, health, public and political life. The Office of the Commissioner for Equality and the National Mechanism for Women's Rights (NMWR), within the framework of their work and responsibilities, implement programmes/live workshops and seminars aimed at the balanced and equal participation of men and women in all spheres of life and combating all forms of violence against women. Awareness-raising campaigns with the broad participation of women's organizations, meetings and contacts with political parties and the media.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Gender equality in higher education is a key priority of UNESCO, which has proceeded to draft the Strategy for Gender Equality in Education 2019-2025. The strategy focuses on systemic transformations for the benefit of all learners through targeted interventions to empower women and girls.

In line with Horizon Europe, the new Council of Europe Framework for Research and Innovation (2021-2027), as well as broader European policies promoting gender equality and eliminating gender inequalities and discrimination, sexual harassment and other forms of gender-related violence, all Higher Education Institutions are required to develop and implement Action Plans for the promotion of Gender Equality. In this context, the CUT, participating initially in the European Gender-Smart programme and later in the EUT+ alliance, proceeded to the elaboration of the Gender Equality Action Plan, which, according to the programme of your event, we will be informed about later. Again, I warmly congratulate you on this initiative and I hope that other educational institutions in our country, private or public, which have not yet drawn up such plans, will follow your example.

In conclusion, I would like to stress that it is very important that this plan has been approved by the Senate Council and that a Senate Committee for Equality has been established within the CUT. This is a commitment to changing culture and attitudes on issues of equality, diversity and inclusion. However, in order to ensure the sustainability of the project, the required budget must be in place, the appropriate structure must be in place and, most importantly, it must have the support of the leadership of the institution. I am convinced that the Gender - Smart project, in collaboration with the Equality Commission and the EUT+ alliance has brought about change and its continuity should be ensured.

(NΓ/EXP)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/P]

Back