What's new

[Cyprus Times] "Historic day" says Attorney General. Welcomes constitutional amendment to reform judiciary

savvides-ypourgos-dikaiosinis.jpg

The Attorney General welcomes the passing of the amendment to the Constitution in a historic day
[/QUOTE]

Attorney General George Savvidis speaks of a historic day in a written statement, welcoming the passage by the House of Representatives of the amendment to the Constitution which makes it possible to implement the reform of the Judiciary. He also expresses optimism that the House will pass the other two main reform-related bills next Thursday.

"Today is a very important day, I would say it is historic, since with the recent passing of the bill on the amendment of the Constitution of the Republic of Cyprus into a law of the State, by the Plenary of the Parliament, the implementation of the reform and the modernisation of the structure and operation of the Cypriot courts becomes possible," the Attorney General said in a statement.

He welcomes "with great satisfaction the adoption by the Parliament of this constitutional amendment, whose legislative changes comprise the major part of the reform of the judiciary."

At the same time, the Attorney General notes that the reform of the judiciary is a major step forward. Savvidis, "it is with equal satisfaction that I wish to congratulate and thank all the many who contributed to making today's passage possible, with special appreciation to the parliamentary parties, which, throughout the lengthy debate of these bills in Parliament, have demonstrated a responsible and constructive attitude, far from partisan or political expediency."

"And the universal response shown today by all parliamentary parties in favour of what I consider to be the greatest reform since the establishment of the Republic in the field of justice and in the system of its administration, allows me, in my capacity as Attorney General, as the greatest institutional litigant in the courts, to be optimistic that in the same way the Plenum of the Parliament will proceed next Thursday by passing the other two main reform bills submitted by the Ministry of Justice and Public Order - and which were extensively discussed in the Parliamentary Committee on Legal Affairs - in order to complete the reform of the justice system".

A reform, says the Attorney General, "which aims to reverse the disorderly trajectory of the collapse of the Cypriot judicial system, to address delays in the administration of justice and to structure a new, speedy and efficient system of justice for citizens and the country".

At the same time, of course, he notes, "I cannot but share the position that parliamentary parties have expressed in favour of promoting changes in the primary jurisdiction of the courts as well."

He expresses his agreement that "changes need to be made in the lower levels of the judiciary, it is work that needs to be done". "Already the Legal Service, on specific issues that directly affect it, is working with the Supreme Court to make some changes that will lead to the acceleration of first instance proceedings," he concludes.

Contents of this article including associated images are belongs Cyprus Times
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or Cyprus Times

Source

Back