What's new

[Cyprus Times] George Kolokasidis in CT: I address all citizens who are fed up

kolokasidesinterview.jpg

"The decline of our state is such that the strong demands of citizens for a reversal of course are no longer ideological," says lawyer George Kolokasidis, who has officially announced that he will run for the presidency of the Republic in 2023. "Is there any thinking leftist, rightist or centrist who believes that corruption is an acceptable phenomenon in our democracy?" he asks, claiming that his candidacy is truly and essentially independent. "There was no pre-coordination with any party leadership, nor is there any underground or other commitment to any party," he states."

In your election positions the dominant issue is the Cyprus problem and the scourge of corruption. Do you consider these to be the dominant criteria that will determine people's choices in 2023?

I consider that in the current and daily issues corruption is the dominant issue. On the one hand because it has stifled our democracy. Corruption has highlighted the operational problems of our polity and the control of partisanship. It is this unholy suffocating control that breeds and breeds corruption. Corruption in a democracy is the result of arbitrariness. And arbitrariness comes from the absence of checks and balances. Note, large-scale corruption starts to affect the economy as well. Like e.g. the passport scandal has adversely affected Cyprus' economic prospects. Therefore, rightly, I think, the citizen raises the issue of corruption high and will take it into account in his decisions in '23. The Cyprus problem is, of course, always a long-standing issue of concern to people because it affects their and their family's prospects of survival in this country. So, yes, it will also have a major impact on 23. And for an additional reason which I believe and will highlight. Contrary to the impression that many people have, the Cyprus problem is not stagnant and we are not far from the precipice.

On the economy do you have positions? When do you expect to communicate them? And where would you place your proposals? In social liberalism?

Of course I have positions and I will give you the basic outline for your readers to rank as they see fit. Markets cannot work on their own. And this was evident in both the collapse of the CSE and the banks. We need robust government oversight to prevent such phenomena. State intervention is also necessary to safeguard basic services and the welfare state. Finally, the state's executive role is also extremely useful in reorienting the direction of the economy. For example, the model we have today of over-investment in tourism and land development has run its course. Without damaging these sectors, the state must create the framework and adopt incentives for a shift towards innovation and technology.

Are you addressing all citizens regardless of party affiliation?

All citizens regardless of party affiliation who are fed up with what they see and hear. The decline of our state is such that the strong demands of citizens to reverse course are no longer ideological. Let me put it another way. Is there a thinking left, right, or center who believes that corruption is an acceptable phenomenon in our democracy?

The label "independent candidate" has been abused for so many years, and as a result has aroused public suspicion. By the way, how independent is your candidacy?

The term independent candidacy has traditionally been used, I think, to express the degree of independence from parties. Many candidacies in the past were filed supposedly independently but in prior consultation with party leaders in order to gain support. In this respect my nomination is truly and substantially independent. There was no pre-coordination with any party leadership and the programme which is being drawn up is not determined by any party. Nor of course is there any underground or other commitment to any party.

I expect that in the course of time I will have contacts because parties in a democracy are a reality and institutionally they are represented and constitute the Parliament. Even if their way of functioning within the democratic framework has to change. Any contacts will of course not compromise the independence of my candidacy.

And with the ruling party? Or do you consider that there is no subject of dialogue?

I will not say that there is no subject of dialogue. For the reason I mentioned earlier. Of course, the conditions for communication are more difficult because the present government has led the country to new unprecedented levels of corruption. The ruling party should do its own self-criticism, acknowledge this fact in order to cooperate in healing the wounds of corruption. Recognition of the problem is also a basic prerequisite for such institutional changes to prevent this phenomenon in the future.

When you say change, do you agree with what opposition parties said in the parliamentary elections, that the DISY government should be terminated? Are you putting yourself in the opposition?

Of course the present government should be terminated for the reasons I mentioned. However, even the opposition parties did not want to face a hard truth. That almost all the parties that have ruled from time to time have added a stone to bring the situation to where it has reached. So the ruling party may be primarily responsible at this stage but almost all the parties at times colluded to get us here. It is not just a government that needs to change. It is the whole system of exercising power that needs to be changed. Only something like this can truly change our democracy and provide catharsis. It is what I am aiming for and believe is achievable to solve the problem once and for all. But we need the people to wake up!

You will agree with us that without support from at least one party, the electoral race is extremely difficult.

It is difficult but I think there is an underestimation of the circumstances in which the electorate finds itself. Because of the scandals, people are understandably so upset that they have largely become detached from the parties. They are looking for other solutions. Take a look at the levels of abstention, take a look at the non-existent participation of young people in the electoral process. It is because of this evolving civic autonomy that it is the parties that are in an extremely difficult position at this juncture. They cannot determine the outcome as they used to do in the past.

On the Cyprus problem you are characterized as a supporter of the so-called assertive school of thought. You even suggest a change of strategy. One could point out that the DIKO president contested the 2018 presidential elections under the slogan of a change of strategy without securing the necessary popular mandate. How different is your proposal? There is a constant evolution in the background which is fed by our own constant concessions. The foreigners believe that we are very close and that is why, after all, in Crans Montana they almost invited the prime ministers for the final stage. If you add up the Christofias-Talat convergences, but also what President Anastasiades has added, what has emerged is a bi-zonal, bi-communal monstrosity that will not last. I therefore propose a disengagement from the IOA alongside a campaign to explain our position. That any state that emerges from the solution must guarantee human and democratic rights. Nothing more than what each government, each state claims for its own citizens. At the same time we must strengthen our foundations, our defence, our economy, our alliances - together with Greece. In a recent interview you said that what you are trying to promote, together with those who take the decision to stand by you, is a peaceful revolution for the beginning of a new era in democracy. What exactly do you mean?

Yes, I am aiming for a peaceful revolution. Peaceful because it must take place within the institutions and rules of our democracy. Revolution because there must be a drastic political change. Institutions must breathe and such changes must be made so that there are the checks and balances needed in a democracy to avoid arbitrariness now and in the future. The constitutional changes are about more accountability of political parties, they are about protecting the institution of independent officers of the republic in terms of their selection and functioning and increasing such independent institutions such as the provision of an independent anti-corruption authority. Finally, citizen participation in the political process should be encouraged. This can also be done by introducing the institution of referendums. This will all introduce a new era in our democracy. Within such a framework, citizens will be able to develop culturally and economically to an optimal degree. That is a fine prospect! But for all this to happen, the citizens must come together. That is what I mean.

As you have said, the key to change is citizen activation. For this to happen, the citizen's trust in politics and politicians must first be restored. Can you do anything about this?

This is difficult. The breakdown in citizens' trust in politics is understandable because of the anomalies in politics. So it is not a matter of convincing citizens to show trust. The onus is on the politicians to change or change the system in such a way that the politicians are forced to change. What I can do is to project my intentions to start a process of changing the institutions to force politicians to comply. I expect citizens to measure me and decide: Is this guy sincere in his intentions? And if they think I am, go to a second question. Does he have the ability to advance the goals he preaches? If again the answer is yes, then I expect their support. To change the place together.

Contents of this article including associated images are belongs Cyprus Times
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or Cyprus Times

Source

Back