What's new

[PIO] Statements by the President of the Republic at the opening of the meeting of the Council of Ministers

43032.jpg

"We have promised accountability and we must do it in practice and not in words", President of the Republic Nicos Christodoulides said today, addressing the members of the Council of Ministers at its afternoon meeting on the progress of the implementation of the actions of the Governance Programme for 2024.

In his remarks at the beginning of the meeting at the Presidential Palace, President Christodoulides said that the progress of "the actions we announced on 29 January, in the context of the accountability we promised to the Cypriot people, will be examined."

We started this institution of the annual presentation of the Government's programme, we actually dared to expose ourselves, saying at the beginning of the year what we will do. So, the Cypriot people can see all that we promised if we did it at the end of the year.

This is the third session that we are devoting exclusively to the 88 actions. I want to see which actions have been completed from what we have mentioned, which ones are close to completion and which ones we see that have a discrepancy, so that we can take decisions today.

Also, for those that need legislation and need to go to Parliament, again we need to know, so that we can also appeal to Parliament if they have been sent and the debate in Parliament has not started, and which ones are in the Legal Service for legislative review.

I repeat, on 29 January we announced 88 actions. At the same time, I saw, in preparation for the Council of Ministers, that there are many other actions, in addition to the 88, that emerged along the way and that we have promoted and implemented. So, I would like to ask about these as well, and I would like to refer to any other actions that arise along the way.

Let me start specifically with one action at a time. Each Minister, who is concerned, to tell me where we stand - I have the note prepared with your input - particularly on policies in relation to what we announced on 29 January, which I recall I announced again after discussion with you. We will see where there is a deviation from the implementation date, so that we can figure out how to implement them.

On March 1, 2025, which completes the second year of governance, we will present what we have done and in early 2025 we will present our planning for 2025. We promised accountability and we have to do it in practice and not in words."

(PM/AF/MS)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Source[/P][/URL][/P]

Back