What's new

[PIO] Speech by Environment Commissioner Ms Antonia Theodosiou at the press conference for the NZ4Y action and the presentation of the educational

41333.jpg

I was very pleased to accept the invitation to participate in today's press conference to report on the activities of the Eco-Schools programme, the massive participatory education programme for sustainable development, whose national operator is the NGO CYMEPA.

I will start with the NetZeroforYouth action (NZ4Y) which we have willingly placed under the auspices of the Office of the Environment Commissioner. Following the successful pilot phase of NZ4Y in 2023 in ten schools and the very positive feedback we have received, the action is being extended this year to all secondary schools as part of the Eco-Schools

The aim of the action is to engage students more directly with the major challenges facing humanity due to the climate crisis and its consequent impacts on the environment. Through targeted activities, questionnaires and knowledge competitions, pupils gain knowledge and hands-on experience to help them choose a lifestyle with environmentally friendly habits and practices. The children proceed to plant the seeds according to the instructions on the packaging and have the opportunity to observe and record the germination process and, after harvesting, consume them. At the same time, the action foresees the recording of the students' response through electronic questionnaires and online competitions.

The international Eco-Schools programme aims to raise awareness, educate and change attitudes on issues related to sustainability and the environment. Through participation in decision-making, planning and implementation of actions, schools are transformed into communities of sustainable coexistence, on both a pedagogical and practical level.

In the same context, there is a comprehensive effort to raise awareness and effectively implement measures for the implementation of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.

As the Office of the Environment Commissioner, we strongly support environmental goals and actions that enhance the preservation and restoration of nature, as well as educational measures to promote sustainable development. At this point I would like to thank Mr. Stamatis Skabardoni, who came from Athens to present it to us afterwards and Mr. Michalis Ieridis, Secretary General of CYMEPA for the initiative.

In conclusion, I congratulate all the contributors and collaborating institutions and wish all success and optimal results to both actions.

Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/P]

Back