What's new

[PIO] Address by the Speaker of the House of Representatives Anita Demetriou to the 23rd Session of the House of Elders

26733.JPG

Friday, 18 March 2022, Filoxenia Conference Centre

Madam Deputy Minister of Social Welfare,

Mr Director General of the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance,

Madam Director General of the Ministry of Health,

Dear representatives of the House of Young Representatives and the Cyprus Children's Parliament,

Dear Chairman of the Pancyprian Coordinating Council for Volunteerism and the Coordinating Body of the House of Elders,

Dear colleagues,

Respected members of the House of Elders,

I preside over today's 23rd Session of the House of Elders with great joy and emotion and I am particularly pleased that it has been possible to hold it today after the temporary adjournment of the House of Elders, as a result of the difficult circumstances and problems caused, among other things, to the elderly by the coronavirus pandemic, so that the theme of this year's session will be "Old age in the face of the coronavirus pandemic".

The House of Elders, an institution that was first launched in 1999, was established in Cypriot society through the energy and action of its members with the help and support of the Pancyprian Coordinating Council for Volunteerism. The House of Representatives dynamically supports this institution, as well as other institutions, in the context of strengthening active citizenship, participatory democracy, pluralism and transparency, with the aim of highlighting the problems of civil society, especially of elderly people, and consequently solving them.

The House of Elders has always been the forum for dialogue, reflection and communication between the parliament and the mature members of our society, the forum from which our elderly citizens have the opportunity to be heard, to promote their demands and to claim their inalienable and self-evident right to decent living and quality of life. At the same time, it is a unique opportunity for society as a whole to listen to and understand the problems and needs of a vulnerable and growing section of the population. Furthermore, the institution of the House of Elders offers the possibility of two-way communication between generations, on the one hand strengthening the voice of the elderly and, on the other hand, allowing younger and younger people to understand the reality of their older fellow citizens.

I am particularly pleased that today's proceedings will be attended by representatives of the House of Young Representatives and the Cyprus Children's Parliament, who will address their own message, contributing to the climate of cooperation and unity between generations, which is a necessary condition for strengthening social cohesion, laying the foundations for the progress of society.

I would like at this point to thank the Deputy Minister of Social Welfare and the representatives of the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance and the Ministry of Health for their participation in this year's session, while expressing the hope that the practical cooperation of the legislative and executive authorities, with the adoption of relevant policies, will contribute to finding effective solutions to the problems of elderly people, especially now that they have multiplied due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The effects of coronavirus have hit the elderly harder than any other group in the population. At the same time, the pandemic period highlighted the seriousness of existing gaps and shortcomings in policies, systems and services. Chronic problems such as social exclusion and neglect have been exacerbated by the pandemic and consequent confinement, taking a huge toll on the mental and physical health of our older people. Nowadays, the development of science and technology makes it possible to solve many problems and substantially improve their quality of life. However, in order to take advantage of these opportunities, appropriate policies are needed to ensure non-discriminatory access for all older people.

The United Nations, given the serious problems caused by the coronavirus pandemic and recognizing the challenges posed by a growing ageing population, has declared 2021-2030 as the Decade of Healthy Ageing, with the aim of improving the lives of older people, their families and the communities in which they live.

Promoting healthy and active ageing requires concerted action, always with a focus on people and love for our older people. Social benefits, improved transport, lifelong learning and digital literacy opportunities, and the elimination of age-related stereotypes are key conditions for removing the barriers that hinder the full participation of our older citizens in social life. Only in a supportive environment that ensures health, equality and dignified living can our older citizens realise their potential, share their experience and wisdom with younger people and continue to live as active and equal members of society. Creating a framework that ensures a good quality of life with dignity and opportunities for creativity will benefit not only them, but also their families, their children, their communities and our country. A place which they themselves, through their efforts and sacrifices, have brought back to life and therefore it is the duty of all of us to continue their struggle for its progress and prosperity. It is to these people that we owe everything we enjoy today and I believe that the time has come for us to show our gratitude to them by ensuring a comfortable present and a promising future.

As President of the House of Representatives, I am honoured to preside over today's session and I assure you that Parliament will always stand by the elderly, keeping the channels of communication open with love and sensitivity, making every effort to solve their problems.

In declaring this year's session open, I wish your committees and Parliament every success in their work.

Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back