What's new

[PIO] Address by the President of the Republic Mr. Nikos Christodoulides at the official ceremony for the feast of Saint Irene, patron saint of the

41501.jpg

It is with great pleasure that I am participating in tonight's event. The celebration of Agia Eirini is a very important day for the Cyprus Police and the Police Corps in general, and for all of you who work to safeguard the security of our country.

This year's celebrations take on another symbolism, as they coincide with the 50th anniversary of the brutal Turkish invasion of 1974. It was also in these difficult moments that marked our country, the treacherous coup and the Turkish invasion, as of course and throughout all phases of our country's history, during which the Cyprus Police and its members dynamically declared their "presence", at great cost of their sacrifice and contribution. In this context, this year, more than any other year, we honour all the members of the Police Corps of the Republic of Cyprus who fought to safeguard the legality, the existence and the independence of the Republic of Cyprus, who fought, sacrificed, were wounded and suffered in the line of duty. Together with them, we honour their families, especially those whose names, two in the case of the Cyprus Police, are unfortunately still on the list of missing persons.

Our wish cannot be other than the discovery of the fate of the last missing person, so that the agony and pain of the relatives of each missing person may end as soon as possible.

I want to reiterate that it is with great honour and pride that I am here today, a day of remembrance and honour for all members of the Force, without exception, who have either served in the past or are currently in the ranks of our Police. A day which requires us to pay tribute also to all our police officers and firefighters, since the Fire Brigade was until 2019 part of the Cyprus Police, who gave in many cases even the most important asset, their own lives, in the service of the homeland, both in time of war and in time of peace.

In a favoured society, in a modern state governed by the rule of law, an EU member state, ensuring public order must be high on the list of priorities of the country's government. Citizens must not only feel but also be safe, since only under such conditions of security and order, institutions can function properly and smoothly.

The State has over the years entrusted the Cyprus Police with the safeguarding of the particularly critical area of public order and security, the protection of human life and the property of every citizen. Given the rise, both internationally and nationally, of unprecedented challenges in the fields of security, including asymmetric threats, the expectations of citizens and their demand for more security and law and order are rightly becoming ever greater. And this, by extension, makes the role of the police officer, the role of all of you, even more important and, at the same time - I fully understand this - even more difficult and challenging.

Listening, therefore, to the expectations of civil society, but also to your needs, the Government, from the very first moment of assuming its duties, gives due importance, working in a coordinated and steady manner for the staffing, modernization, reorganization and generally for the smoother and more efficient operation of the Cyprus Police Force.

It is a fact that in the current and constantly changing socio-political environment that creates new and increased challenges, which lead to new forms and practices of committing crimes, the Cyprus Police is called upon to undertake this very difficult task and to deal effectively with every form of crime that plagues today's society. Drugs. that plague our society, especially the younger generation, crime, domestic violence, terrorism, illegal immigration and many other challenges that the Cyprus Police and the Ministry of Justice and Public Order and other Ministries have to deal with on a daily basis, in order to safeguard peace, security and justice for every Cypriot citizen.

In order for our Police to be in a position to meet the challenges of the modern era I mentioned above, constant vigilance, training and systematic education of its members, development of competences and new skills are required. At the same time, we need to make full use of all the available technological tools and means that exist and, at the same time, to constantly strengthen and reinforce them.

As a State, therefore, we do everything possible to defend the rights of our Homeland and, at the same time, to defend and safeguard every human right of the citizens of the Republic of Cyprus.

As a State, we do everything possible to defend the rights of our Homeland and, at the same time, to defend and safeguard every human right of the citizens of the Republic of Cyprus. Our main concern is the preservation of democratic institutions and the strengthening of the citizens' sense of security.

Dear members of the Police, I am particularly addressing you, because I really know very well the challenges and difficulties you face in the performance of your duties, while, unjustly in many cases, you are immediately the target of criticism. I am absolutely sure that you are fully aware of your responsibility and the need to make a lasting contribution to society and citizens. The State recognises your daily contribution to society as a whole, your daily and tireless efforts to maintain order and law and order, as well as your admirable level of dedication in carrying out your multi-dimensional and demanding work.

I therefore owe a big thank you on behalf of the State to each and every one of you individually and I invite you to continue with the same zeal to serve the Police Corps, maintaining and strengthening even more the already high sense of social responsibility that you possess, but at the same time isolating any negative elements within the Police Corps.

On the occasion of today's festive day of the patron saint of the Cyprus Police, Saint Irene, I would like to congratulate you for the struggle you carry out every day and to assure you that the Government, the Minister of Justice and I personally will constantly stand by the Cyprus Police, making every effort to respond to what society expects of us: a safe country for a safe society.

(PM/NYAN/EP)
Contents of this article including associated images are belongs to PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/P][/P]
Source[/URL][/P]

Back