What's new

[PIO] Address by the President of the Republic Mr Nikos Christodoulides at the inauguration ceremony of the construction works of the protection and

41832.jpg

It is with great pleasure that I participate in today's event to inaugurate two important projects of the Community of Chloraka: The completion of the construction of the protection measures and improvement of part of the seafront with the "Wave Breakers at Alytzii Beach" and the completion of the third and final phase of the Cultural Centre with the "Fountain Canteen and Exhibition Area" project. Two projects that, among many others, reveal and confirm the keen interest of the Community Authorities for substantial development and progress of the community. All of you should feel particularly proud.

A short while ago, on our way to the site of today's event, we passed by the seafront and I received an on-site briefing. We confirmed, first-hand, the transformation, truly, of the beach front between the St George and Laura hotels, with the construction and installation of the five breakwaters and other complementary improvement and redevelopment projects. The breakwaters make the sea accessible, but we also need to develop the space in front, the beachfront. So, we will proceed immediately with the Town Planning Department, so that the relevant permits can be granted and it can be used by the community and the residents of the area.

The project, which falls under the European Cohesion Policy programme "THALIA 2021-2027" and is being promoted for final certification of compatibility with environmental standards, is an example of the effectiveness of the will and proper organisation of all parties involved. I want to praise the role of the previous Government in getting the project included in the "THALIA" programme.

I want to reiterate, it is remarkable, and you are all to be congratulated, that this is one of the few projects delivered before the completion deadline. That in itself says a great deal. Where and when there is proper planning, control, professionalism and consistency, projects are completed and accomplished. Especially when it comes to projects, such as this one, which aim to upgrade and enhance both our tourism product and the standard of living of the residents of the wider region. I am sure that the Chloracca seafront improvement project will contribute greatly to the further development of the area and the provision of higher quality services and opportunities for both [LOCAL] residents and visitors. There are about eight hotels there and this beach can serve people staying in these hotels, but at the same time it can also serve the residents of the area.

I want to welcome the work of the Ministry of Transport. I feel proud to hear from local authorities welcoming the assistance of public agencies.

I salute the work of the architect because the key and the beauty of the site is the unity of the site and it is another indication of the steady march of development and quality upgrading of the community. The Community of Chloraka from today acquires a multifunctional, model - I would say - Cultural Centre, which harmoniously combines the creation of infrastructure for cultural events and activities, the very careful aesthetics of the space, respect for the environment, the promotion of tradition and much more.

As the State we congratulate and welcome such projects, with a clear focus and proper planning for the regeneration of community spaces, but we are here to support and strengthen them substantially. May I also mention that it was with great satisfaction just yesterday that I was also informed about the positive development of another Community project - which I consider particularly important, because when we are talking about projects related to education and health, they are very important - the extension and general improvement of the Agios Nikolaos Primary School of Agios Nikolaos by the Ministry of Education. The process is at the stage of preparing the contracts and in a short time the works will begin.

I should also mention that in relation to the marina, which was the first request of the Paphos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, we have proceeded with the relevant Deputy Ministry, and during our government we will lay the foundation stone, correcting a distortion that has existed for a long time.

You referred to the issue of the decree that was issued in 2021. It was one of our first actions to enforce the ordinance, to correct a distortion that existed for the community. I am well aware of the challenges you face because of immigration. The whole country, especially some areas like Chloraka [ARE FACING THESE CHALLENGES]. It is a priority issue for the Government, the data and the numbers prove the importance we attach to this issue. For the first time, all those who are not beneficiaries of international protection are leaving our country, and I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this issue will be addressed no matter how many challenges arise. We are aware of the concerns arising from irregular migration, we are here and we will address this major challenge.

It is common knowledge that the Community of Chloraka is now demonstrably on a path of continuous development, regeneration and progress, for the benefit of its residents primarily, but also for the benefit of tourism in our country in general. We are confident that all the recent, completed or ongoing projects in the Community of Chloraka will give a new dynamic of development and prosperity to the region, with only positive developments for our place.

We again congratulate the Local Government bodies, personally the friendly Community Mayor of Chloraka, Mr. Liasidis, the Members of the Community Council and all those who contributed to the implementation of these two great projects.

We congratulate again the Local Government bodies, personally the friendly Community Mayor of Chloraka, Mr. Liasidis, the Members of the Community Council and all those who contributed to the implementation of these two great projects. I should also note the fact - I am glad that you mentioned the two previous community leaders - that the previous government included the projects within the European funds.

In conclusion, once again I would like to reiterate that as a State we are by your side. I approach you as partners and fellow travellers, and I am confident that together we will do what is necessary for a successful implementation of the great reform of local government.

(PM/GC/NYAN)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/P]

Back