What's new

[PIO] Address by the President of the Hellenic Republic Mr. Nikos Christodoulides at the 16th "IN BUSINESS AWARDS 2023" ceremony organised by the

41283.jpg

It is with great pleasure that I welcome the 16th "IN BUSINESS AWARDS for 2023", which have now established themselves as an institution, as a benchmark for the business events of our country. I would therefore like, before any other mention, to congratulate IMH and IN BUSINESS magazine, who, with tonight's event, are highlighting and rewarding excellence in business.

We, as the Government, approach the business community as our closest partners and fellow travellers in this effort. After all, the entrepreneurial culture in our country is something of which we are and deserve to be very proud.

Due to its geographical location, since ancient times Cyprus has been a centre of commercial activity. Today, Cypriot businesses - regardless of their size - are the driving force of our economy. The production of innovative products and services, especially in high value-added sectors, strengthens the competitiveness and resilience of our economy and shields it in difficult geopolitical times such as those we are experiencing today.

At the same time, business, the business community in our country has played - and I want to acknowledge this tonight - a very critical role in addressing the various challenges that we have faced in recent years and I would like to thank you on behalf of the Government and all previous Governments.

The dynamism, creativity, dedication to work, flexibility and spirit of cooperation shown by our entrepreneurs have contributed substantially to the revitalisation of our economy.

Besides, as you know it much better, to do business means "to dare", "to organise", "to decide", "to strive". At the same time, in a prosperous democratic society, the role of business transcends narrow economic boundaries and transforms it into a powerful pillar of social progress and solidarity. And this also applies to the state itself, without a strong economy you cannot have a strong social policy.

We are proud of the multitude of our businesses that demonstrate social responsibility, invest in the education and training of their staff, support charitable projects, promote environmental sustainability and the development of culture, thus contributing to improving the daily lives of our citizens.

We therefore owe it to ourselves to reward successful entrepreneurship, the implementation of innovative business models and social and environmental awareness as a minimum sign of appreciation and recognition for our entrepreneurs. That is, after all, why we are here tonight, and I take this opportunity to congratulate all the award nominees tonight and all of you who actually dare to turn your ideas into action, to differentiate, and to excel in your field of activity.

Despite multiple regional and geopolitical developments, Cyprus can successfully cope with the international competitive, unstable and unpredictable environment and become, as aptly stated in Vision 2035, one of the best places in the world to live, work and do business.

At the same time, broadening the productive base of our economy by creating a new growth model that ensures a more resilient, sustainable and competitive economy, leveraging education, technology, digitalisation and the green economy, are very high on our priorities.

A key condition for achieving our ambitious goals is fiscal responsibility on the part of the State, a stable and strong financial environment and, of course, continued bold reforms. This framework has determined our decisions since the first year of our administration and this framework will continue to determine our decisions during our term of office.

Moreover, the successive upgrades by the Rating Agencies, apart from being proof of our country's positive outlook, are a vote of confidence in the Government's policies.

In this context and in order to achieve our goals, Cypriot businesses are at the centre of our efforts. Precisely for this reason, following our very successful, targeted meetings with foreign businessmen in our country which also resulted in the adoption of improving incentives to attract further quality investments in Cyprus, I announce tonight that we are launching the institutionalised dialogue with Cypriot businessmen, with the aim of making use of your many years of experience and expertise, to present to you the pillars in which we are going to invest as a state, so that we can work together on the basis of specific goals and objectives. This is why we are planning the first meeting at the end of May, at the Presidential Palace, in the presence of the entire Cabinet of Ministers.

In the same context, we have also launched the effort for the fiscal transformation of our country - the last one took place in 2002 - which aims to enhance the competitiveness of the economy, ensuring fiscal neutrality and in full alignment with the objectives of the European Green Deal. In the same vein, the support we provide to our businesses, through a series of projects, incentives and sponsorships, using national and European resources, is also important, especially in the energy sector, which is perhaps the most important challenge we face today as a State, as a society and as an economy.

At the same time, and on the basis of our strategy, we are taking actions aimed at restoring Cyprus' reputation and credibility on the international stage. We have to recognise that there is a problem in this area. Last week I was in London at a meeting with potential investors. The first issue that emerged from the discussions was the name, the reputation, the credibility of our country abroad. We recognise that this problem exists and through both strengthening our country's diplomatic ties and promoting the image of Cyprus - to promote an image we need substance, so it is very important that there is substance - as a reliable business environment, we contribute to the international recognition of Cypriot businesses.

Let me announce tonight that within the next few weeks, following a decision by the Government, Invest Cyprus will launch a major campaign for the rebranding of our country. A campaign in which we want you to be our partners, we want you to be our companions.

In closing, I would like to reiterate my warm congratulations to all the companies that are being awarded tonight and to each and every one of you for your commitment to excellence. All of you, without any exaggeration, are the catalysts of innovation, dynamism and growth of our country and your contribution to our economy and society is invaluable.

From our side, from the side of the State, we will continue to provide substantial support to Cypriot businesses to ensure, among other things, that entrepreneurship has all the tools to continue to grow and evolve and to face any challenges for the benefit of Cypriot society.

(PM/EP/NZ)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

[/P]
Source[/URL][/P][/P]

Back