What's new

[PIO] Address by the Minister of Health Mr. Michael Damianos at a Press Conference on the occasion of the National Day for the Prevention of Drowning

43061.png

I welcome you to today's press conference dedicated to the National Drowning and Marine Accident Prevention Day, a very important public health issue.

In April 2021 by decision of. the UN General Assembly established 25 July as World Drowning Prevention Day.

Globally, drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury and accounts for 7% of all injury-related deaths. The World Health Organization estimates that every year there are approximately 236,000 drowning deaths.

Given the fact that Cyprus is an island, swimming is an integral part of our culture and everyday life, especially during the summer months, providing us with physical and mental well-being.

Every year in our country, people lose their lives or are seriously injured due to drowning and marine accidents.

Every year in our country, people lose their lives or are seriously injured due to drowning and marine accidents.

Every year in our country, people lose their lives or are seriously injured due to drowning and marine accidents. According to the data recorded by the Ministry of Health, the majority of drowning and injury cases involve people over 60 years of age, mainly men, children and tourists, and occur mainly in the summer months.

Friends,

Proper information and awareness of citizens can significantly reduce accidents and drownings by ensuring safer and more enjoyable activities in the aquatic environment.

Safety in the aquatic environment is mainly an obligation of the state. The Republic of Cyprus has put the issue of the prevention of drownings and marine accidents high on the political agenda.

To this end, the Presidency has developed an Action Plan for Safety in the Aquatic Environment, Prevention of Drownings and Marine Accidents under the coordination of the Deputy Minister and in cooperation with the stakeholders. On 17 July, a joint Press Conference was held between the Ministry of State and the Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth, where the progress of the implementation of this Action Plan, which was approved by the Council of Ministers in February 2024, was presented.

The Action Plan includes the following actions:

1. Operation of a Port Police Information System
  2. Safe Swimming Programme for the acquisition of swimming skills for children up to 12 years old
  3. Educational Programme for Safety in the Aquatic Environment
  4. Modernization of the Legislative Framework
  5. Awareness Campaign for the Third Age
  6. Public Awareness Tools (website "Safe Water Sports" & "Safe Water Sports App")
  7. Establishment of a National Drowning Day
  8. Accident Observatory

The Ministry of Health, considering the issue of safety in the aquatic environment to be of the highest priority, has taken the following Actions immediately:

1. Establishment of 25 July as National Drowning and Marine Accident Prevention Day
  2. Awareness campaign, including posters and tri-fold leaflets in four languages (Greek, English, French and German) by the Ministry of Health's Medical and Public Health Services (MHS & PHS). Aiming to raise awareness on safety issues at seas/swimming pools and prevention of drowning, focusing on elderly people
  3. screening of relevant audiovisual material, focusing on elderly people on social media,

Friends,

To conclude my speech, I would like to thank the Deputy Minister to the President, Mrs. Irene Piki, the President of the non-profit organization Safe Water Sports, as well as all those who contributed to the creation and implementation of the Action Plan.

I consider the prevention of drownings and water accidents the responsibility of all of us and I invite you to join me in setting the motto "zero water accidents, zero drownings".

With proper awareness and compliance with simple safety rules, we can ensure that our beautiful moments in the aquatic environment will remain safe and enjoyable.

I wish everyone a great summer, swimming safely.

(DK)
Contents of this article including associated images are belongs PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back