What's new

[PIO] Address by the Minister of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment Dr. Maria Panayiotou at the Inaugural Session of the Ministers for

41100.jpg

It is a great honour to welcome this distinguished gathering to the inaugural Commonwealth Ministerial Meeting on Oceans, where we have come together to address one of the most pressing challenges of our time: the protection and sustainable use of our oceans and marine ecosystems. As representatives of the diverse nations of the Commonwealth, we share a collective responsibility to safeguard these vital resources for present and future generations.

Our seas and oceans are not only a source of inspiring beauty, but also the lifeblood of our planet. They regulate our climate, provide food for billions of people and support countless species of marine life. Yet despite their immense importance, our oceans face unprecedented threats from human activities.

Climate change combined with overfishing, plastic pollution and habitat destruction are some of the major challenges that are rapidly degrading the marine environment. These threats not only endanger marine biodiversity, but also jeopardise the livelihoods of coastal communities that depend on fisheries. Further, they undermine the health and well-being of people across the planet.

Meeting these challenges requires concerted international efforts to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, adapt to the impacts of climate change, and protect marine ecosystems and biodiversity.

As custodians of the oceans, it is our duty to take urgent and decisive action to reverse these alarming trends. I hope we will work together to put in place strong conservation measures, enforce sustainable fishing practices and fight pollution at its source. This requires a coordinated and multi-faceted approach involving governments, civil society, the private sector and local communities.

At the heart of our efforts must be a commitment to advancing knowledge about the oceans and raising awareness of the importance of marine biodiversity. Education and public engagement are essential tools to encourage action and foster a culture of sustainable management of our oceans.

As members of the Commonwealth, we have a unique opportunity to set an example of collective and determined protection of our oceans. Let us seize this opportunity with courage and determination, knowing that the future of our planet depends on the actions we take today.

In conclusion, let us reaffirm our commitment to the principles of sustainability, equity, respect for international law by implementing the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and further working together to protect our oceans for future generations. Together we can create a future with healthy ocean systems where marine life can thrive.

Finally, I would like to express my warm wishes for a productive, enlightening and thoroughly enjoyable stay. I hope that our time together will be marked by fruitful discussions, meaningful connections and memories that will last long after we part.

I now invite to the podium Her Excellency the Secretary General of the Commonwealth, the Honourable Patricia Scotland KC for her address.

Thank you.

(EFF/AF/GC)
Contents of this article including associated images are owned by PIO
Views & opinions expressed are those of the author and/or PIO

Source

Back